Jan 12, 2024

Favourite Films of 2023

Two films dominated 2023 and they opened on the same day. Barbie and Oppenheimer were true phenomenons when they hit cinemas in July. Both were incredible successes and they seem to feed off each other even though they really had nothing in common. I loved Barbie and it was a lot of fun. But from the moment I saw Opppenheimer I knew it would be my favourite film of the year. An immaculate three hour journey helmed by the master in Christopher Nolan. Just a near perfect film. It also looks set to dominate the upcoming Academy Awards. I think it deserves to get as many awards as possible. 2023 was also a year for great masters. Scorsese gave us the great Killers of the Flower Moon, whilst David Fincher gave us the very enjoyable The Killer. We also received new films from Ridley Scott, Michael Mann and Wes Anderson.

The year began with Everything Everywhere All At Once dominating the Oscars. I really enjoyed this film but thought there were better. Such as the incredible Babylon, which didn't do well with critics but I absolutely loved. Tar and Women Talking were other films I loved that I saw early in 2023. Still can't figure out how Cate Blanchett didn't win for Tar, a real mystery. Some exciting films coming up soon too at the cinema such as The Holdovers, The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers, Anatomy of a Fall, The Zone of Interest amonst others. I think they should all be in the Oscar race, but as said Oppenheimer is set to dominate. 

1. Oppenheimer
2. Babylon
3. Tar
4. Killers of the Flower Moon
5. Women Talking  
6. Close
7. Aftersun
8. Past Lives
9. Poor Things
10. Asteroid City

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home