Oct 29, 2023

Paul McCartney @ Allianz Stadium


Paul McCartney is an icon. A legend. A true music giant. No need to explain his contribution to music. My mum used to tell me that I was born in 1964 when The Beatles toured Australia. So I was ‘around’ when the legendary band conquered the world but obviously I was too young to appreciate them. But when I got older I became intoxicated by their genius. Their story was full of mysticism and wonder. After watching the Get Back series my wife and I pledged that we would see McCartney if he ever toured Australia again. We rarely do stadium shows but we decided to make an exception for him. And boy was it worth it. 

Friday night was the first of two sold out shows at Allianz Stadium. We had reasonable seats on the floor and even Paul was hard to see we could spot him on the big screen. And we could hear him. Man could we hear him. For close to three hours he tore through Beatles, Wings and solo songs. It was a glorious time. Countless highlights. Too many to mention. But some were the amazing ‘Let Me Roll It’, the iconic ‘Let It Be’, the serene ‘Blackbird’ and of course the crowd singalong’Hey Jude’. ‘Something’ was begun on ukulele with beautiful photos of George Harrison. ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’ was mesmerising and ‘Band on the Run’ was euphoric. The encore was perfection, with a virtual duet with John Lennon and the emotional trio of Abbey Road sings to finish an ecstatic night. Paul is now 81, but his voice is still intact and his energy is boundless. An absolute true privilege to witness this magical evening. 

Set List
Can’t Buy Me Love
Junior’s Farm
Letting Go
She’s a Woman
Got to Get You Into My Life
Come Onto Me
Let Me Roll It
Getting Better
Let ‘Em In
My Valentine 
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Maybe I’m Amazed
I’ve Just Seen a Face
In Spite Of All the Danger
Love Me Do
Dance Tonight
Blackbird
Here Today
New
Lady Madonna
Fuh You
You Never Give Me Your Money
She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
Jet
Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
Band on the Run
Get Back
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

I’ve Got a Feeling
Birthday 
Sgt. Peppers’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home