Oct 22, 2023

Built To Spill @ Manning Bar

Built to Spill run deep into my heart. Since the 90s I have loved their melodic guitar wizardry. I would be very happy to say they are close to my favourite band of all time. I have been very fortunate to see them live a few times over the years too. Both here in Sydney and in the US. But Friday night at the Manning Bar was their first Australian show in seven years. I am happy to report that they are still as great as ever. Just a sensational night of thrilling guitar heroics. For a veteran band they are still making wonderful music too and their album of last year, 'When the Wind Forgets Your Name' was one of my favourites of 2022. Surprisingly perhaps they only played one song from that record. But not complaining too much as they opted to give a good taste from across their illustrious career. So each song they played was invariably a highlight. But the absolute standouts were the beautiful 'Reasons', the incendiary 'I Would Hurt a Fly' and the epic 'Stop the Show'. But the biggest thrill of the night was closing the main set with the perfection of 'Carry the Zero'. Just sublime. The band are now a trio too. Of course Doug Martsch is still the centrepiece. The unassuming frontman with no artifice just plies his trusty Stratocaster with perfect skill. The band is now rounded out by bass player Melanie Radford and drummer Teresa Esguerra. They were both fantastic, backing Doug to from a tight and very clean sound. Melanie even took lead vocals on a great Heartless Bastards cover. I'm here to tell you Built to Spill are still perfection personified. Fact.

Set List
Goin' Against Your Mind
Center of the Universe
Strange
Hindsight
I Would Hurt a Fly
Gonna Lose
So 
Reasons
Virginia Reel Around The Fountain
Liar
The Mountain (Heartless Bastards cover)
Stop the Show
Else
Big Dipper
Carry the Zero

Conventional Wisdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home