Jan 15, 2023

Favourite Films of 2022

So, today a look back at film in 2022. But first I would like to comment on the so called 'death of cinemas'. Of course the pandemic and the ease of streaming has meant people have changed their viewing habits. Many people are happy to wait for films to hit streaming or VOD and I see that from many people asking where did I see a particuclar film and mostly the answer is the cinema. Even though the comfort of home is appealing seeing a film on the big screen is still the best I think. No distractions, great sound, darkness, a big screen is still the best viewing experience I think. And the massive success of Top Gun and Avatar sequels show there is an appetite for that experience. And even flawed films like Elvis had great success. But absolutely wonderful adult dramas like She Said, Armageddon Time and The Fabelmans were box office failures and I do worry if there is a cinema appetite for those sort of films these days. It can't all be superhero films and sequels.

But there were plenty of films I loved in 2022 and my two favourites were released early in the year. Mike Mills' wonderful drama C'mon C'mon hit me like few films do. A shame it was overlooked in the Oscar race, I loved it. And the Japanese drama Drive My Car was an instant classic. Plenty of great foreign films I loved in 2022 such as Happening, A Hero, Parallel Mothers and many more. And two of my favourites were Irish. The Quiet Girl was immaculate and so was The Banshees of Inisherin. I loved both and the latter would be my pick to win big at the upcoming Oscars. Although TAR opens soon and could change that opinion. Also looking forward to Babylon, Aftersun and Women Talking. So a wonderful year in cinema. Hopefully you got to see some great ones too.

1. C'mon C'mon
2. Drive My Car
3. The Quiet Girl
4. The Banshees of Inisherin
5. Petite Maman
6. Armageddon Time
7. All Quiet on the Western Front
8. She Said
9. Belfast
10. Red Rocket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home