Feb 9, 2016

Gillian Welch @ Enmore Theatre

To say Gillian Welch at the Enmore Theatre Monday night was a great music gig would not do the night justice. This was so much more. I have rarely, if ever, seen two performers so in sync. Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings inhabit a space few can. They draw on the all the rich traditions of American music and create a sound that is classic and timeless. Their playing is faultless. Rawlings in particular is a marvel on his 80 year old guitar. They play dark, they play light, they play joy, they play sad. They touch a vein of humanity that reminds us of the greatness of music. They play without a band, without amps, without artifice. The music stands on its own. It speaks of country and time and place. It is majestic and also heartfelt. 'Revelator' blew me away and by the time the played 'I'll Fly Away' I was shaking with joy. She didn't play Wrecking Ball. That is the ONLY fault I can find. Oh yeah they played the last song without mics. I think a few people cried. I did. 

The reverence in the room tonight was something I have rarely experienced. It was palpable. It's been a long time since Gillian Welch graced our presence. Too long. But it was worth the wait. This was greatness on every level imaginable. It was music at its purest. So fine. So pure. So beautiful.

Set List
Scarlet Town
Wayside/Back in Time
Rock of Ages
The Way It Will Be
The Way It Goes
Elvis Presley Blues
One More Dollar
I Want to Sing That Rock and Roll
Tennessee
Red Clay Halo

No One Knows My Name
Hard Times
Down Along the Dixie Line
Revelator
Six White Horses
Sweet Tooth (Dave Rawlings Machine cover)
Dark Turn of Mind
Caleb Meyer

Look at Miss Ohio
I'll Fly Away (The Humbard Family cover)

Hickory Wind (Gram Parsons cover)
Jackson (Johnny Cash cover)

Long Black Veil (Lefty Frizzell cover)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home