Sep 4, 2014

Bob Dylan @ State Theatre

There are singers, there are great singers. Then there are legends. Bob Dylan is most certainly a legend. You could make a strong argument that he is the greatest songwriter we have ever seen. But I had never seen him live. So the opportunity to see him in a great venue such as the State Theatre was too good to pass up. But, as they say, time waits for no man. And at his advanced age I didn't really expect his voice to be strong and vital. But I wasn't prepared for this. At first it was hard to latch onto this show, his voice failing to reach in any way. But I soon got used to it. But here's the kicker. I certainly didn't expect a medley of great hits. Even Bob Dylan doesn't want to do that. But the whole show was nearly made up of more recent material. Which to be honest, isn't very good. The band was great, but a lot of the music was moderate mid tempo rock. We did hear a few classics. "She Belongs To Me" for example. But it just didn't do it for me. Even "Blowin' in the Wind" was unappealing in its cabaret version. I guess I should be grateful that I finally got to see the legend that is Bob Dylan. But I left feeling a little underwhelmed.

Set List
Things Have Changed
She Belongs to Me
Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
Workingman's Blues #2
Waiting for You
Duquesne Whistle
Pay in Blood
Tangled Up In Blue
Love Sick
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Simple Twist of Fate
Early Roman Kings
Forgetful Heart
Spirit on the Water
Scarlet Town
Soon after Midnight
Long and Wasted Years

All Along the Watchtower
Blowin' in the Wind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home