Sep 23, 2007

Album Covers To Love And Cherish

In the past week or so I have been admiring and enjoying my Cover Flow feature on my new iPod Classic. It truly is a thing of beauty. It made me realise that album covers can stimulate the senses in so many ways. In these days of digital music buying I wonder If people miss out on this. Having just bought the new Kevin Drew album I know for a fact that well designed and lovingly created album artwork is something to be thankful for. Arts and Crafts certainly put a lot of effort into making buying a CD a pleasurable experience. I don't know if "The Glow Pt 2" is my favourite album cover ever but I absolutely love it. Maybe I am just a sucker for cute little elephants. Below I have placed a random selection of favourite covers. By no means definitive or exhaustive these are ones I have admired recently. I would be interested to know of ones that you enjoy.

4 Comments:

  • At September 24, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey there Wayne good call on the Menomena cover its pretty amazing. Is it one of the guys in the band who does the artwork?

     
  • At September 24, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You know how much I adore that Menomena cover and the fact that it was last to load made me kinda anxious, Wayne.

    Big ups to the Neutral Milk Hotel cover too. But the optical illusion thing on the Blonde Redhead cover is pretty nifty too - you cover 2 of her 4 legs and she still looks like she's in motion.

    And, Not Steve, the cover is by Craig Thompson, an amazing illustrator and bloody genius I say.

     
  • At September 24, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    One of my strongest memories from childhood was sitting with my brother looking so closely at the cover of my Mum’s copy of the Elton John album Captain Fantastic and the Dirt Brown Cowboy. At the time, when I was maybe 10, it was one of the most exciting things I’d ever seen.

    I love the NMH cover and that Calexico cover too. The Menomena cover is also a work of art. Some of my favourites include Strange Bird by Augie March, and Electro-shock Blues by the Eels. I also love the art of Jay Ryan on Andrew Bird’s album covers.

    Ani DiFranco in recent years has put a lot of work into her album covers and has a Grammy for her efforts. I’m particularly fond of the covers of Evolve, Educated Guess and Knuckle Down.

    I have the special edition of Takk by Sigur Ros and it’s so so beautiful, even though it’s a bitch to fit into the CD rack ;)

    And one of my favourites for liner notes + album art is the Broken Social Scene self-titled album.

     
  • At September 24, 2007 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    Not Steve- Well Ro beat me to it.

    Ro- I do like the Blonde Redhead cover, although I don't own that album.

    Karen-I actually was going to include an Eels album. I love Daisies of the Galaxy. And Armchair Apocrypha is quite stunning. In hindsight the BSS should have been included and I do agree about the liner notes. I think Kevin Drew sees a lot of beauty and love in the world.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home