Jun 19, 2007

Magnolia Electric Co. To Tour

This news is just so bittersweet for me. I will explain in a minute. Magnolia Electric Co. (the full five piece band) are touring in August. Headed by Jason Molina they sort of evolved from Molina's solo project Songs:Ohia. Last year Jason played a solo acoustic set at the Hopetoun Hotel which was truly astounding. The man is one of this planet's great songwriters. His songs are pure and honest and that voice, such understated beauty. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Songs:Ohia, but I also love Magnolia Electric Co.'s work which really amplifies Molina's country/folk roots. In other good news Secretly Canadian will release a 4 CD/1 DVD box set of Magnolia Electric Co. work entitled "Sojourner" on August 7. You can read all about it here.

Why is this news bittersweet? Because I will miss this tour. I am going to Canada and the U.S.A. in August for 3 weeks, mainly for a holiday, but to my unbridled joy I am attending the Wolfe Island Music Festival in Ontario where I will be seeing Wolf Parade, Apostle of Hustle, Born Ruffians, Basia Bulat amongst many other talents. As they say, you can't be in two places at once, but I wish Jason Molina could have toured in September.

The Rawking Refuses To Stop has some "Magnolia Electric Co." demos here.

MP3: Lonesome Valley
MP3: Leave The City
MP3: Farewell Transmission
MP3: Easts Heart Divided (Songs:Ohia)

Melbourne The Corner Hotel
Tuesday August 07

Tickets $36 + b/f from The Corner Box Office 57 Swan Street Richmond, 03 9427 9198 or www.cornerhotel.com.

Sydney The Annandale Hotel
Wednesday August 08
Tickets $36 + b/f from The Annandale 02 3557 2166 or www.annandalehotel.com
.

Tickets go on sale June 29



1 Comments:

  • At June 21, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am hoping that magnolia electric co. are in the next splendour lineup as there is a an appropriate gap and they haven't announed Brisbane dates. Well, they better be.

    But i am very jealous that you are seeing wolf parade.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home