May 3, 2007

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane...

Well I do know when I will be back again. Dear faithful reader(s) I will be away from the internetosphere (I just made that up) for a few days as my work has given me the opportunity the spend the next 4 days in Alice Springs. It's kinda work related but the majority of the time will be spent relaxing and reviving. I am looking forward to the small break and I have never been to this part of the country before so it should be fun.

Some random thoughts, ideas and ruminations-

When I return I must review "Ash Wednesday" by Elvis Perkins. This album is bookended by two of the most touching songs I have ever heard. Oh yeah, the rest is pretty good too.

Also need to review the following, which I have bought recently- "Woke on a Whaleheart"- Bill Callahan, "Good Morning"- Old Man River and "The Moonstation Houseband"- David Vandervelde.

Hoping that "Tears of the Valedictorian" by Frog Eyes is in the mail. I just ordered it and I can't wait. I didn't know that Spencer Krug was still collaborating with this band. Pitchfork just gave it a 8.5, and I quote "Mercer is stalking the heath of manhood's ruination".

Will be listening non stop to The Black Keys in anticipation of their show at the Enmore Theatre on May 13. This should be another live show in 2007 to savour. They are playing their first show in Australia on this tour tonight in Wollongong.

The Sandwich Club are putting on an excellent night at The Loft at UTS on Broadway on May 19. Named the Itty Bitty Festival it will feature many fine local bands such as Dead Letter Chorus (EP launch), Cuthbert and the Night Walkers, Walrus, Marching Room and many others.

After seeing Wilco, and having my mind blown, I have been delving back into the Uncle Tupelo catalogue. I love most of it, but I just have to make this statement. Jeff Tweedy's voice moves me in ways that Jay Farrar's can never do. Just listen to "Black Eye".

May should see some great releases. The obvious ones being the new albums from Wilco, Voxtrot and The National. But the two ones that have me super excited, from what I have heard are "Mapmaker" by Parts & Labor and "Plague Park" by Handsome Furs.

These 3 films are taking my attention as soon as I return, "The Science of Sleep", "Noise" and "The History Boys". If they are all half as good as "Half Nelson" I will be happy!

Here is some music making my world go round-
MP3: Stitch Me Up - Minus Story
MP3: Fractured Skies - Parts & Labor
MP3: Bushels - Frog Eyes
MP3: What We Had - Handsome Furs
MP3: Alone/Alive - Shapes and Sizes
MP3: On to You - The Constantines
MP3: The Heinrich Maneuver - Interpol
MP3: Mistaken For Strangers - The National
MP3: Nothin' No - David Vandervelde
MP3: May Day - Elvis Perkins

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home