Apr 4, 2007

New Minus Story; Plus Various Other News That May Or May Not Interest You

I would say that everyone has a band (or bands) that you hold dear to your heart. One that produces great music but somehow flies under the radar, escaping all the hype and acclaim you just know is going to someone less worthy. I have a couple that fit the bill, Aloha is one (such sweet music) and Minus Story is definitely another. Hailing from America's Midwest they make music which delights the senses and massages the heart. Fractured pop with a big heart if you like. All their back catalogue is worth checking out, but thankfully they have new music on the horizon. "Make the Dead Come" is a limited edition mini album coming out in 2 weeks. Containing 7 tracks, the band recorded it in between sessions for their new full length "My Ion Truss" which is due for release in June. Apparently there will be only 500 copies and you can order it from their My Space. If you go there now you can also hear "Stitch Me Up" from "My Ion Truss".
All Minus Story albums are available for purchase from Jagjaguwar.
MP3: Little Wet Head (from No Rest for Ghosts)
MP3: Come into My Arms (from Make the Dead Come)

Also out soon on Jagjaguwar is a new EP from Vancouver's Ladyhawk. Their debut album was a favourite of mine in 2006 and "Fight For Anarchy" is due out in May. They are currently recording a new full length due for release in 2008. Here is a track from the forthcoming EP.
MP3: War

Anything remotely concerned with Wolf Parade excites me greatly, so I am looking forward to "Plague Park", due out in May. It represents the debut of Handsome Furs, a project between Dan Boeckner (Wolf Parade) and his fiancee Alexei Perry. Here is a track from the new album and I think it sounds pretty good, definitely has me intrigued about "Plague Park".
MP3: Hate This City

I'm heading out to The Great Escape this weekend. Well only Sunday actually. I didn't go last year, so that's the main reason for going. I think the lineup is solid but not spectacular. I am looking forward to The Roots though, their live reputation is through the roof. Playing times are up now. On a somewhat related note there is a Great Escape festival just announced that takes place in Brighton, England over 3 days in Mid-May. The excellent lineup includes Annuals, Art Brut, British Sea Power, Elvis Perkins, Loney dear, Micah P. Hinson, The Besnard Lakes, Voxtrot, amongst many others.

I now have "Person Pitch" in my possession. Panda Bear's Magnum Opus is definitely worthy of all the praise being heaped upon it. A complex, startling work, it reveals more with every listen. I hope to have a full review up soon after I fully digest it.
MP3: Comfy in Nautica

2 Comments:

  • At April 05, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey wayne, i'll be there on sunday. shame about gogol bordello cancelling. i was looking forward to seeing them most, but the roots should be brilliant.

     
  • At May 03, 2007 , Blogger Dexter said...

    you can also listen to "Stitch me up" here:
    http://www.imposemagazine.com/mag/?p=466

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home