Feb 14, 2007

Bonnaroo 2007

By all reports this will be the lineup at Bonnaroo 2007 in Manchester, Tennessee. A four day extravaganza, I was lucky enough to attend in 2004. Highlights that year were a staggering My Morning Jacket, plus Wilco, Kings of Leon, Gillian Welch, Calexico, Gomez, Bob Dylan, Black Keys, Grandaddy and many, many more. Its truly one of the world's great festivals. Originally started as a Jam Band type festival it has grown to include a huge variety of acts incorporating rock, folk, country, blues, bluegrass and many other styles. Of course the reunion of The Police has been of major focus, although I can't say that has me too excited. Australian acts confirmed are Wolfmother, John Butler Trio and Xavier Rudd. I think the lineup has plenty going for it. I have marked in bold the acts I would be excited to see. What acts excite you?

The Police
Tool
Widespread Panic
The White Stripes
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
Wilco
The Flaming Lips
Manu Chao
The String Cheese Incident
Franz Ferdinand
Bob Weir & Ratdog
Damien Rice
Ween
Gov’t Mule
Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers
The Decemberists
Kings of Leon
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Wolfmother
Regina Spektor
Galactic
The Black Keys
DJ Shadow
Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
Spoon
Keller Williams (WMD’s)
Sasha & John Digweed
STS9
Old Crow Medicine Show
The Hold Steady
North Mississippi Allstars
Fountains Of Wayne
Hot Tuna
Feist
Hot Chip
Lily Allen
John Butler Trio
Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys
Aesop Rock
The Richard Thompson Band
Dierks Bentley
Xavier Rudd
Gogol Bordello
Junior Brown
Tortoise
T-Bone Burnett
Mavis Staples
Clutch
Cold War Kids
Dr. Dog
Paolo Nutini
Brazilian Girls
RX Bandits
The Nightwatchman
The Slip
Girl Talk
Railroad Earth
Martha Wainwright
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Annuals
Tea Leaf Green
Sam Roberts Band
Elvis Perkins in Dearland
Charlie Louvin
Sonya Kitchell
Mute Math
Apollo Sunshine
Uncle Earl
James Blood Ulmer
The National
The Little Ones
Ryan Shaw

8 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2007 , Blogger Osmond said...

    I'd bold Tortoise and Feist as well personally.

    Btw I did not know that Dinosaur Jr had just completed a new album. Seems many bands have done that lately e.g. The Stooges.

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Blogger Amanda said...

    Many of yours plus:

    North Mississippi Allstars

    Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys -- Dr Ralph is about the biggest legend in bluegrass/American folk still going around. My sister lives in Arizona and has tickets to see him this month (although she didn't know who he was), am deathly green with envy.

    Junior Brown
    T-Bone Burnett

    Mavis Staples --- hmmm, that sweet sweet soul gospel.

    Charlie Louvin -- Of the Louvin Brothers. Another stone cold legend of American music, without a breath of exaggeration. Dylan worships the Louvin brothers. I read somewhere he has a duets album soon, with Jeff Tweedy, Will Oldham Elvis Costello a bunch of those other types.

    James Blood Ulmer -- he's way more absscure than he deserves. Very arresting blues soul.

    Once day I will make all these festivals.

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    the festival to be attend this year is coachella, the lineup is beyond amazing. of course if I did live in TN I would still celebrate the fact that these guys were coming:

    Flaming Lips
    Damien Rice
    Decemberists
    Regina Spektor
    Feist

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'd definitely agree wit Anne, coachella is the festival to be at. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing the Decemberists and the Annuals on our shores soon.

    Nice to see some aussies doin the rounds in the US.

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    Oz- Yeah it seems like everyone is reforming these days. I believe the new Dinosaur Jr is out May 1 on Fat Possum.

    Amanda- I bow to your knowledge, I'm a bit of a novice in this area, but I'm listening to more country then ever before and I think Bonnaroo is great in exposing yourself to new music.

    Anne & Ro- I agree that Coachella has a better lineup, especially with the monumental talents of Arcade Fire and Explosions in the Sky. But I'm not that keen on Bjork or RHCP as headliners. Plus I think Bonnaroo has more variety so I could happily attend both. Btw I saw Decemberists in Austin last year, wonderful show.

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes to Wilco obviously, and the White Stripes are awesome just to see what an amazing musician Jack is, even if you don't dig the music so much (which I do). The Black Keys are SO amazing live and one of my highlights of the Great Escape last year. How can two people make such a full, rocking sound?

    I've never seen the Flaming Lips so I'd be excited about that. Also, Tool put on an enormous live show (but is it just me or do they look a little out of place on this line up?). I'd be excited to see Spoon and the Decemberists, and I've heard the Hold Steady are really good live. Regina Spektor too.

    Even if you're not a fan of his music Xavier Rudd is so much FUN to see at a festival. He puts out such a good vibe and the crowd just love him.

     
  • At February 15, 2007 , Blogger Wayne Massingham said...

    Karen, I'm with you on Jack White, that man is just an amazing talent.
    Tool could look out of place, but I think thats the great thing about Bonnaroo, an amazing diversity of music fans are catered for. And I really need to see the Flaming Lips, even if their last album wasn't their best, their live shows are legendary.

     
  • At February 19, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    far out another festival not in oz with a stellar line up.

    i really hope the national get to ox some time soon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home