Mar 3, 2007

Music Keeps Me Sane; Or Portland Would do the Same Job

After the week I have had, I am looking forward to the Laneway Festival tomorrow. Great music in a great setting should do the trick. I had planned to attend both the Yo La Tengo and The Walkmen shows over the last 2 nights, but a combination of long hours at work and little sleep left me feeling exhausted and washed out so I gave them a miss. I am looking forward to seeing both of those bands on Sunday. I also think I need to visit Portland, Oregon again some time this year. Its close to my favourite place in the world, super friendly people, lovely climate (although it does rain a little), close to mountains and the coastline, amazing music scene, thriving independent record stores and a fully functional and green transport system. Don't get me started on Sydney's transport system. Oh well, maybe I can attend NXNW later in the year.
Anyway I have been listening to a lot of new music lately, some thoughts-

"Friend and Foe" by Menomena arrived this week. This is startlingly good. See above for review.

I recently received "Dream", a new album by Keller Williams, an artist I wasn't too familiar with. He is a one man band/instrumentalist. I guess a little like Xavier Rudd in some ways. This is apparently his ninth studio album and it is a really varied piece, drawing on many fields of music- country, folk, and very experimental in parts. Here is a song from "Dream".
MP3: Cadillac

Bear on Bear are a young band from Santa Cruz, California. They play a shimmering form of pop that shows a lot of promise. They have just released their first EP. Listen to this track.
MP3: Magpies

I know I am late to the party, but I only recently purchased "This Vital Chapter" by Perth's The Panda Band. I am quite enjoying their dreamy vocals and lush sounds. Listen in here...
MP3: Eyelashes

Holy cow, Gorilla Vs Bear reports that Frog Eyes has been added to the Hot Freaks show at SXSW in Austin, Texas in a couple of weeks. Could you handle The Broken West, Asobi Seksu, Menomena, RJD2 PLUS FROG EYES on a lazy Saturday afternoon. How about Catfish Haven, Apostle of Hustle, Annuals and Shearwater the day before. Damn I wish I was there. By the way if you doubt the greatness of Frog Eyes, listen to this from his upcoming May release "Tears of the Valedictorian".
MP3: Bushels

Temporary Residence is a label of only high quality music, see Explosions in the Sky, Tarentel, By the End of Tonight for obvious examples. Well I recently purchased a record by one of their most original talents. "Copia" is the recent release by Eluvium, better known as Matthew Cooper, a man who creates other worldly, peaceful, blissful music. On my way home tonight I was listening to "Copia" on the IPod and passing near the route for tonight's Mardi Gras I couldn't help but thinking that the world would a better place if Eluvium was being played up and down Oxford Music instead of the atrocious dance music that will be blasting out tonight. I honestly believe that everyone deserves a little Eluvium at some point in their life. A full review will come shortly.
MP3: Prelude for Time Feelers

Speaking of full reviews, after listening to leaked copies, I have "Neon Bible" in my hands now. I'm sure every one will be giving their opinions now and in the future. I think "Neon Bible" is a major accomplishment for Arcade Fire and I plan to review it in full shortly.

4 Comments:

  • At March 04, 2007 , Anonymous Karen said...

    This Vital Chapter by The Panda Band was one of my favourite albums of last year. Dreamy is a good way to describe it, but the album makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Eyelashes is a great song but I think Lovely Shoulders is my favourite.

    Also, Ghosts Have The Best Time will get you out of any funk you're in ever.

     
  • At March 04, 2007 , Anonymous Karen said...

    And holy moly - that Frog Eyes track really is something else!

     
  • At March 04, 2007 , Blogger Ally said...

    you have no idea how jealous i am of you going to laneway.

     
  • At March 08, 2007 , Anonymous Hot Freaks! said...

    Thanks for the "props" for the HOT FREAKS! party...we are very proud of the line-up we put together and are fortunate that people such as yourselves have validated that fact.

    Thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home